[pulseaudio-discuss] [Support] TJ's console speech question (fwd)

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Mon Sep 5 03:21:40 UTC 2016

--

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 20:43:41
From: kendell clark via Support <support at sonargnulinux.com>
To: support at sonargnulinux.com
Subject: Re: [Support] TJ's console speech question

Hi
It will if you copy it into the skeleton folder. I have no idea why it's
called that but if you copy that pulse file into /etc/skel, any new user
that gets created gets those files copied to their home folder. You'll
probably want to create the folder hierarchy, so you'd want to create
/etc/skel/.config/pulse, then put the file in there. To do that, in a
terminal execute sudo mkdir -p /etc/skel/.config/pulse. The "-p" option
creates multiple levels of folders at a time. Then in that same terminal
type sudo cp ~/.config/pulse/default.pa /etc/skel/.config/pulse. You can
do this via the graphical file manager but this is a little faster,
since the file manager is just going to say "oops, you don't have
permission to copy to this folder". The sudo command runs one command as
root. So when you typed sudo cp, you're copying that file as root which
can do anything so isn't denied access. The reason you're denied access
is because that's a system wide folder, so will affect everyone on the
system so security permissions are very tight. There's no "user account
control" prompt in linux, at least not exactly. There are password
prompts when you run a program that needs root privilages on your
desktop though.
Thanks
Kendell Clark