[pulseaudio-discuss] USB headset Steelseries Arctis troubleshooting

Johan Heikkilä johan.heikkila at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 18:25:38 UTC 2017

> What do you mean by "the device is turned off"? That sounds strange.

Obviously selecting an input profile in the output view (and vice
versa) isn't supposed to work, so something gets confused and the
device disappears from Gnome sound settings and the Profile becomes
"Off" in pavucontrol configuration. I can select the correct profile
again in pavucontrol and the device is back.

> The priority determines which profile to choose by default, when the
> user hasn't explicitly chosen any particular profile.

Ok, that works fine.

> Path files tell pulseaudio how to use the alsa mixer. If the sound card
> provides hardware volume and mute controls in the alsa mixer, then it
> would be good to write some path files, or if the mixer elements follow
> a "standard" naming scheme, you can just reference the existing path
> names from the mapping configuration.
>
> The path files are used with both automatic and manual profiles.

OK, I guess there is no need for paths for the headphones. Volumes
seem to work fine as it is.

> I don't know exactly what kind of logic the gnome ui uses when choosing
> what profiles to show, but if you define an input path, the ui might
> figure out that it doesn't need to show multiple profiles in the input
> section, since there's really only one input available.

Do I have to write my own input path? I tried adding paths-input =
analog-input-headset-mic, but it didn't make any difference.

In the end there is no difference writing my own profiles. Now I just
set "auto-profiles = yes" and have the same amount of profiles that
seem to work fine (also the correct device has highest priority). And
in pavucontrol it looks fine.

But the problem is still that both input and output profiles are
listed both in inputs and outputs in Gnome settings and selecting a
wrong one switches profile to off.

--
Johan Heikkilä
<johan.heikkila at gmail.com>