[pulseaudio-discuss] USB headset Steelseries Arctis troubleshooting

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Aug 18 04:04:45 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-08-17 at 21:25 +0300, Johan Heikkilä wrote:
> > Path files tell pulseaudio how to use the alsa mixer. If the sound card
> > provides hardware volume and mute controls in the alsa mixer, then it
> > would be good to write some path files, or if the mixer elements follow
> > a "standard" naming scheme, you can just reference the existing path
> > names from the mapping configuration.
> >
> > The path files are used with both automatic and manual profiles.
> >

> OK, I guess there is no need for paths for the headphones. Volumes
> seem to work fine as it is.

You wrote in the first mail that you had to turn the volume up in
alsamixer. If we want to fix this for all users, that step should be
eliminated.

> > I don't know exactly what kind of logic the gnome ui uses when choosing
> > what profiles to show, but if you define an input path, the ui might
> > figure out that it doesn't need to show multiple profiles in the input
> > section, since there's really only one input available.
> >

> Do I have to write my own input path? I tried adding paths-input =
> analog-input-headset-mic, but it didn't make any difference.

Can you show the output of "amixer -c1"? Replace "1" with whatever
index alsa has assigned to the card (you can see the indexes in
/proc/asound/cards).

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk