[pulseaudio-discuss] USB headset Steelseries Arctis troubleshooting

Johan Heikkilä johan.heikkila at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 19:33:10 UTC 2017

> You wrote in the first mail that you had to turn the volume up in
> alsamixer. If we want to fix this for all users, that step should be
> eliminated.

OK, if you put it that way. I don't know where to configure that, though.

> Can you show the output of "amixer -c1"? Replace "1" with whatever
> index alsa has assigned to the card (you can see the indexes in
> /proc/asound/cards).

amixer -c1
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 64
  Mono: Playback 60 [94%] [-4.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',1
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 64
  Mono: Playback 60 [94%] [-4.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Headset',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cvolume-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
  Capture channels: Mono
  Limits: Capture 0 - 70
  Mono: Capture 70 [100%] [6.00dB] [on]

I can't remember what the volume level was when I first plugged it in,
just that it was too low. The mic was way too low, it probably needs
100% (I tried recording in audacity). I'm not sure about the output
levels, could be set at 100%, but then you could hurt your ears at
100% master level. Depends on material of course.

--
Johan Heikkilä
<johan.heikkila at gmail.com>