[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio is unable to detect right profile on this system.

Farhad Mohammadi Majd farhadbenyamin at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 13:20:41 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-08-30 at 13:27 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> According to the "pactl list cards" output, you only have headphone
> and
> spdif outputs, and headphones are currently not plugged in. Since
> they're not plugged in, Gnome audio settings doesn't show that output
> as being available.
>
> Is it so that you actually do have headphones plugged in? Or is there
> some other output that pulseaudio doesn't detect?
>
> What does this command print when you have headphones plugged in?
>
> while read -r line; do amixer -c0 cget "$line"; done <<< $(amixer -c0
> controls | grep Jack)
>
> The command asks alsa about the jack states. If the jack detection
> doesn't work in pulseaudio, it's probably an alsa bug.

I have a headset, its headphone jack (3.5mm) is plugged-in, while its
microphone jack is usually plugged-out. Yes there should be a bug here,
because one time headphone was detected and I had sound, but when I
opened GNOME audio settings and clicked on "Output" panel, suddenly
profile changed to "Digital Stereo (IEC958)" while it was on "Analog".