[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio is unable to detect right profile on this system.

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Aug 30 10:27:50 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-08-30 at 12:45 +0430, Farhad Mohammadi Majd wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-08-17 at 13:50 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > So you're still using a graphical environment (gnome), but you can't
> > install additional software? Is this the same hardware as what you
> > had
> > before, or some new hardware that isn't working properly?
> >
> > The email subject says "unable to detect right profile". What is the
> > right profile? What does "pactl list cards" print?
>
> I have only one sound card which is onboard, GNOME Control Center lists
>
> only one device and one profile:
>
> ***Device***
>
> "Digital Output (S/PDIF) - Built-in Audio"
>
> ***Profile***
>
> "Digital Stereo (IEC958)"
>
> while it should be "analog" to work correctly.
>
> ==========
>
> $pactl list cards
>
> > > https://pastebin.com/H75CyMzB

According to the "pactl list cards" output, you only have headphone and
spdif outputs, and headphones are currently not plugged in. Since
they're not plugged in, Gnome audio settings doesn't show that output
as being available.

Is it so that you actually do have headphones plugged in? Or is there
some other output that pulseaudio doesn't detect?

What does this command print when you have headphones plugged in?

while read -r line; do amixer -c0 cget "$line"; done <<< $(amixer -c0 controls | grep Jack)

The command asks alsa about the jack states. If the jack detection
doesn't work in pulseaudio, it's probably an alsa bug.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk