[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio dynamic tunnel sink

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Fri Jan 27 10:36:43 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-01-23 at 17:24 +0100, Pascal Heinrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in my setup I have multiple tunnel-sinks defined and they are combined
> via module-combine-sink.
> All is running great and syncronous.
>
> Now sometimes the master pulseaudio server with mpd install comes up
> before all slaves are running.
> Is there any way to append a sink to a already running combine-sink?

No, except by loading module-combine-sink without arguments, in which
case it will play to all hardware sinks. Tunnel sinks don't count as
hardware sinks, so this mode is of no use to you.

Steffen Pfendtner recently spent some effort on implementing dynamic
adding of combine sink outputs:
https://www.mail-archive.com/pulseaudio-discuss@lists.freedesktop.org/msg17003.html

The first version of the patch was rejected, I'm not sure if he's
working on improvements.

> I tried unload-module module-combine-sink and add the new tunnel-sink
> followed by recreating the module-combine-sink including the new one.
> Unfortunately this results in mpd isn't able to play anything
>
> mpd.log
> Jan 23 17:14 : pulse_output: Failed to enable "My Pulse Output" [pulse]:
> pa_context_connect() has failed: Connection refused
> Jan 23 17:14 : output: Failed to open audio output
>

> pulseaudio.log
> a thousand times ...
> Jan 23 17:14:43 ARCH_MEDIA pulseaudio[390]: D: [pulseaudio]
> module-udev-detect.c: /dev/snd/controlC0 is accessible: yes
> Jan 23 17:14:43 ARCH_MEDIA pulseaudio[390]: D: [pulseaudio]
> module-udev-detect.c: Resuming all sinks and sources of card
> alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1b.0.

"Connection refused" sounds like pulseaudio isn't running. Did it
crash? If there are a thousand of those module-udev-detect messages,
are they all from the same process (pid 390 in this case)?

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk