[pulseaudio-discuss] Switching Between Bitstream and PCM

Henk Visser mrhenkvisser at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 22:24:17 UTC 2017

Hello everyone!

1.) I playing videos with the VLC player and am using the "PulseAudio Sound
Server" as an audio output device from the VLC GUI.

2.) Using the "PulseAudio Sound Server" output device from within VLC, I am
able to play a file and I get bitstream (surround sound) coming out via
HDMI to my TV.

3.) While this is playing (bitstream) I want to which over to PCM. How do I
do this now? I don't see any settings for the Pulse Audio Server that stand
out to me. Shouldn't this be toggled by the player (VLC?) or PulseAudio?
The developers for VLC are mentioning PulseAudio to do this but I am stuck.

Thank you!