[pulseaudio-discuss] Make padsp use second Pulse device

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Jul 20 14:59:37 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-07-17 at 18:07 +0100, Calum wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have some old software that expects the soundcard at /dev/dsp.
>
> I have two soundcards working in Pulseaudio. However, the one I want is the
> second soundcard, and I was wondering if I could run padsp with some option
> to specify it's the second soundcard I want redirected.
>
> I'd like to avoid changing the order of the soundcards if possible -
> there's some external hardware involved, and I'd rather avoid it if
> possible.

It would make sense for padsp to allow specifying the sink and source
name, but that doesn't seem to be implemented.

I'm not sure what you mean by changing the sound card order. padsp will
use the default sink or source, and the order in which alsa enumerates
the sound cards doesn't have an effect on which device becomes the
default in pulseaudio.

You can change the default sink in pulseaudio with "pactl set-default-
sink", for example (see "man pactl"), or if you don't want to change
the default, you can also set the PULSE_SINK or PULSE_SOURCE
environment variable when starting padsp.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk