[pulseaudio-discuss] Service fails on systemctl start. Status always "activating"

Karl Stahl karl at soundhound.com
Mon May 22 20:01:13 UTC 2017

Apparently the "xcb_connection_has_error()" message is caused by my having SSHed to the device.  If I run the same command on the device directly, I don't get that message.  My environment already had that variable set as you suggested:

$ echo $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
/run/user/1000

In any case, I still get the "pa_context_connect() failed" message.

Is pulseaudio running?  Yes:
$ ps -ef | grep pulse
pi        1050   809  0 11:14 ?        00:00:54 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --daemonize=no

$ PULSE_LOG=99 pactl info
xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
Using shared memory pool with 1024 slots of size 64.0 KiB each, total size is 64.0 MiB, maximum usable slot size is 65496
Trying to connect to /run/user/1000/pulse/native...
connect(): Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
Trying to connect to /var/run/pulse/native...
connect(): No such file or directory (2)
Connection failure: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused

$ netstat -lx | grep pulse
unix  3      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     12344    /run/user/1000/pulse/native

Any other thoughts?  Does it matter that I have "--daemonize=no" in my service file?  By the way, if I do not use a systemd service at all, I've been able to get Pulseaudio to run successfully by manually typing "pulseaudio --start" at the command line.  That doesn't really help me though, because I need Pulseaudio to be available on bootup, without manual intervention.