[pulseaudio-discuss] RAOP, pavucontrol and general "Latency offset"

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Oct 8 16:31:45 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-10-06 at 14:51 -0400, Chris Billington wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> A while ago I wanted to set the latency offset of a null sink, and I wrote
> some patches to be able to do this, not by adding a port, but by adding the
> ability to set the latency offset on a sink. I'm sure you can find them if
> you search this list for my name. However I never got around to tidying up
> the patches for inclusion in pulseaudio.
>
> I'm just mentioning it because if it wasn't too much hassle, you might
> consider applying your approach in a general way that allows null sinks to
> have a port associated with them too. If you did then it would solve my
> problem (latency control over a network using a custom streaming thing of
> mine based on a null sink) too.

I think it makes more sense to allow setting the latency offset for a
sink without ports than forcing all sinks to require to be part of a
card.

I'm not against making it possible to load a dummy card with null sinks
and ports (that could be useful for testing port functionality if
nothing else), but I'd still want to be able to load just a simple null
sink without extra bells and whistles.

As for raop, I think having a card makes some sense: it is sort of a
remote sound card after all.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk