[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio user not found

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Oct 12 15:24:17 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-10-10 at 11:56 -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> This is the response I get without the --daemonize parameter on the
> pulseaudio command line and the typescript file fails to start with
> --daemonize too.
> cut here.
> Script started on 2017-10-10 11:51:05-0400
> [root at taf ~]# cat pa.sh
> #/usr/bin/env bash
> # file: pa.sh - pulseaudio system startup script.
> pulseaudio --system=True --disallow-exit=True --disallow-module-loading=True --daemonize
> [root at taf ~]# ./pa.sh
> N: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling SHM mode.
> N: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling exit idle time.
> E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.
> [root at taf ~]# exit
> exit
>
> Script done on 2017-10-10 11:51:40-0400
> I'll try all of this under a user account to see if I get identical
> failures.

The message subject says "pulseaudio user not found", is that what you
referred to when you said "This is the response I get"? I didn't find
that error message in the source code, but maybe you're paraphrasing
the error "Failed to find user 'pulse'.". If that's the error you're
seeing, then you're trying to use the system mode without having the
"pulse" user added to your system.

The distribution is supposed to add that user automatically when you
install pulseaudio.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk