[pulseaudio-discuss] Unable to change output device for The Talos Principle

Andrey Semashev andrey.semashev at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 16:22:44 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have multiple audio output devices, most importantly ASUS Xonar D2X,
which is set as the default output device, and Builtin Audio. For some
reason, when I start The Talos Principle, PA selects Builtin Audio as
the output device for the game. If I Alt+Tab from it and try changing
the device in pavucontrol to D2X, nothing happens, the game continues to
use Builtin Audio for output. D2X works fine otherwise, and I can use it
in other applications

I'm not sure if this is a game or PA issue. I've noticed PA select
non-default devices for different applications, so I tend to think this
is a PA problem. So, my questions are:

1. Is there a reason why PA would select a non-default device for an
application?

2. I suspect, the answer to 1 is yes, if at some point another device
was selected for the application and this was saved in some sort of
cache. If so, where is that cache and how can I remove the application
from it?

3. Is there a reason why PA would not allow me to select D2X for a
particular application?

4. Is there a way to force the selection?

5. Is this a bug and if so, where should I report it?

Thanks.