[pulseaudio-discuss] front-panel headphones not working with Intel PCH and Realtek ALC892 [solved]

Peter F. Patel-Schneider pfpschneider at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 15:48:25 UTC 2018

Well, if not really solved at least I patched the problem, which is not really
about pulseaudio at all.

The Realtek ALC892 has a pin group that is by default a second line-in but can
be switched to be an output pin.  So there are four inputs by default, two
mic-level inputs and two line-level inputs.

Desktop motherboards don't generally have two line-level inputs.  Instead they
may have one line-level input on the back-panel I/O.   What they also have is
an HD audio header that almost always ends up being connected to two 3.5mm
jacks on the case.  One of the jacks is for a microphone and one is for
headphones.

My motherboard attaches the front mic pin and the second line-in pin from the
chip to this header.  Windows knows enough (probably by means of a quirk for
the motherboard) to repurpose the second line-in as a headphone jack.
However, this is not done in Linux.

I found out much of this from
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/993162 which is about a
different motherboard but the same chip and the same pin attachment.  I don't
know whether it is worthwhile to have a quirk added for my (old) motherboard.

So what I did was to use hdajackretask to retask pin 0x1b to Headphone, and
install a boot override for this.  I think that a reboot is needed to have the
change take total effect.

peter