[pulseaudio-discuss] Remaining PA process after X logout

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Mar 5 16:21:53 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-03-01 at 14:59 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Felipe Sateler wrote:

> > > Dumb question, how to do that exactly?
> >
> > In the debian package I ship:
> >
> > /usr/lib/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pulseaudio.socket ->
> > ../pulseaudio.socket
> >
> > This means that the socket can't be disabled (in the systemd sense) by
> > users, but pulseaudio can be disabled by masking.
>
> Thanks!  that was the magic recipe.
>
> Would be nice if that were handled automatically by 'make install' and/or
> documented somewhere.

I think it would be a good idea to install the symlink with "make
install", with a configure option to disable this. My impression is
that with system services it's frowned upon to forcibly enable units -
distributions are expected to use the preset mechanism instead - but if
the preset mechanism doesn't work (or isn't used) with user services,
it seems better to enable the service by default.

I probably won't work on this in the near future, however. Would you
like to write a patch?

https://liberapay.com/tanuk
https://www.patreon.com/tanuk