[pulseaudio-discuss] Remaining PA process after X logout

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Mon Mar 5 16:29:03 UTC 2018

Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-03-01 at 14:59 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Felipe Sateler wrote:

>> > In the debian package I ship:
>> >
>> > /usr/lib/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pulseaudio.socket ->
>> > ../pulseaudio.socket
>> >
>> > This means that the socket can't be disabled (in the systemd sense) by
>> > users, but pulseaudio can be disabled by masking.
>>
>> Thanks!  that was the magic recipe.
>>
>> Would be nice if that were handled automatically by 'make install' and/or
>> documented somewhere.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to install the symlink with "make
> install", with a configure option to disable this. My impression is
> that with system services it's frowned upon to forcibly enable units -
> distributions are expected to use the preset mechanism instead - but if
> the preset mechanism doesn't work (or isn't used) with user services,
> it seems better to enable the service by default.
>
> I probably won't work on this in the near future, however. Would you
> like to write a patch?

I think I withdraw my criticism... after learning a bit more about systemd
and user presets.. ie, all that was required was to run:
systemctl --no-reload preset --user --global
(which is standard practice whenever installing user session units)

That said, to be clear, when one does enable this socket activation support,
it is recommended to disable autospawn?  (that is what I did manually, this
is also something the configure script does not do)

-- Rex