[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth HSP handling on pulseaudio

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Mar 22 12:00:01 UTC 2018

> RING and CKPD are ignored by PulseAudio, so you can't currently get
> notifications about those, unfortunately.

Hm... if I wanted to get notifications about those, how would I do so?

I've just written a plugin for Pidgin which works with USB headsets and
synchronises their mute/offhook status with calls correctly:
http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/pidgin-headset.git

I can now hang up a call by pressing the headset button, and the
headset's "mute" button interoperates correctly with the server-side /
software mute.

I'd like to extend that to work with Bluetooth headsets too.

I think I can probably work out the mute part, since we *do* process
the AT+VGM= input from the headset. That should be visible somehow in
the conference GStreamer pipeline, I expect. But as you say, CKPD is
not handled and there's no way to handle RING either.

How would we connect those up?

And... if those are exposed through PulseAudio, does it make sense for
the USB headsets to be handled by PulseAudio too? What I do now is a
bit of a hack and I'm just finding *any* old headset device and using
it to control the call, even if it isn't the device that's actually
handing the audio. If PulseAudio were to automatically open the HID
associated with a given USB audio device and expose the mute/ring/hook
stuff in the same way as Bluetooth headsets, actually associated with
the correct device, that might be a useful approach?