[pulseaudio-discuss] how to Start a pulseaudio application as a daemon with systemd

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sat May 19 14:44:33 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-05-11 at 14:15 +0200, Christophe Lohr wrote:
> Le 09/05/2018 à 09:34, Christophe Lohr a écrit :
> > Many thanks for your advice. The 'system-wide' strategy is the solution
> > to my problem.
> >
> > I configured it according to:
> > https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/SystemWide/
> > https://gist.github.com/awidegreen/6003640
> > https://fhackts.wordpress.com/2017/07/01/running-pulseaudio-system-wide-with-pacmd-on-arch/
> >
> > This seems ok now!
>
> hum hum... in fact, no :-(
> this doesn't work so much (my first tests were probably not consistent)
>

> I don't know if clients can't reach the server, or if the server rejects
> connection
>
> $ pacat
> Connection failure: Connection refused
> pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
>

> What does this means?
> How may I get more detailed log messages? (from clients, from server) A
> way to monitor the activity of the server?

"Connection refused" means that pacat couldn't find the socket file of
the server. You can run "PULSE_LOG=99 pacat" to see where pacat tries
to find the socket, and compare it to "sudo netstat -lxp | grep pulse".
The latter command should show all socket locations that any pulseaudio
instance is listening on.

> The server is executed as follow:
> $ pgrep -a pulseaudio
> 19813 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --system --disallow-exit --realtime
> --log-target=journal --daemonize=no
>

> /etc/pulse/client.conf contains:
> default-server = /var/run/pulse/native
> autospawn = no

Setting default-server should be unnecessary. If libpulse can't connect
to the per-user daemon, it should automatically try the system-wide
socket location.

https://liberapay.com/tanuk
https://www.patreon.com/tanuk