[pulseaudio-discuss] Routing sink to source

Zoltán Szabó zoell at zoell.us
Thu Nov 8 18:49:45 UTC 2018

Hi,

I would like to connect my app01's audio output to my app02's microphone.

Here is what I have tried so far:

I create a file pipe sink for my app01:
load-module module-pipe-sink sink_name=pa_speaker_app01
file=/home/pulseaudio/pa_speaker_app01 format=ulaw rate=8000 channels=1

I create a file pipe sink for my app02:
load-module module-pipe-sink sink_name=pa_speaker_app02
file=/home/pulseaudio/pa_speaker_app02 format=ulaw rate=8000 channels=1

This way both of my apps have an available output device.

I create a virtual source as a mic for my other app01 and 02:
load-module module-virtual-source source_name=pa_virtual_source_app01
uplink_sink=pa_speaker_app02
load-module module-virtual-source source_name=pa_virtual_source_app02
uplink_sink=pa_speaker_app01

This way anything played on pa_speaker_app02 should be routed to the
app01's microphone pa_virtual_source_app01, right? Also should be true for
app01 to app02.

So I start my app01 and 2:
PULSE_SOURCE=pa_virtual_source_app01 PULSE_SINK=pa_speaker_app01
./startapp01
PULSE_SOURCE=pa_virtual_source_app02 PULSE_SINK=pa_speaker_app02
./startapp01

But this is not working at all. Is this not the right approach? I can see
in the PA logs that the apps are connected successfully to PA.

PS: I also tried to crate a null sink, but app01 (it is actually chrome) is
not able to open the null sink's monitor as a mic.

Thanks
zoell