[pulseaudio-discuss] Underrunning null sink

Travis Brown travis at bryx.com
Wed Oct 24 21:07:40 UTC 2018

After playing around with this for about 6 hours, I found some interesting data.  The latency on the g722 (since renamed to ip_mcast) null-sink hovers around 20mS when I have pavucontrol running, and around 600mS when I don’t have it running.  Since G722 requires pretty consistent 20Ms packets, this is certainly the problem.  The max request size is also obviously different.  Is it possible to adjust the max request size?  That is the only thin gI can think of that would really impact the latency here.

Thanks again,
Travis

Good:
    index: 2
	name: <ip_mcast>
	driver: <module-null-sink.c>
	flags: DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
	state: IDLE
	suspend cause:
	priority: 1000
	volume: mono: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	        balance 0.00
	base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	volume steps: 65537
	muted: no
	current latency: 20.63 ms
	max request: 1 KiB
	max rewind: 1 KiB
	monitor source: 3
	sample spec: s16le 1ch 16000Hz
	channel map: mono
	             Mono
	used by: 0
	linked by: 1
	configured latency: 40.00 ms; range is 0.50 .. 2000.00 ms
	module: 4
	properties:
		device.description = "ip_mcast"
		device.class = "abstract"
		device.icon_name = "audio-card”

Bad:
  index: 2
	name: <ip_mcast>
	driver: <module-null-sink.c>
	flags: DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
	state: IDLE
	suspend cause:
	priority: 1000
	volume: mono: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	        balance 0.00
	base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
	volume steps: 65537
	muted: no
	current latency: 657.77 ms
	max request: 62 KiB
	max rewind: 62 KiB
	monitor source: 3
	sample spec: s16le 1ch 16000Hz
	channel map: mono
	             Mono
	used by: 0
	linked by: 0
	configured latency: 2000.00 ms; range is 0.50 .. 2000.00 ms