[pulseaudio-discuss] Associate PA ports to HDA codec pin widgets

David Epping david.epping at missinglinkelectronics.com
Fri Oct 26 14:24:39 UTC 2018

Hello,

I'm struggling to make an association between PulseAudio ports and the
HDA codec pin widget that sound will end up on or originate from.
I understand this only makes sense if there is such a simple one to one
mapping and it does not work for anything networked or otherwise fancy.

The assumed sound hardware has two stereo output jacks, one green, one
black.
These colors do show up correctly in hdajackretask and
/sys/class/sound/hwC1D0/init_pin_configs:
0x14 0x01014010
0x1b 0x02211020

pavucontrol and pacmd show these two jacks as two ports:
ports:
                 analog-output: Analog Output (priority 9900, latency
offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
                         properties:
                 analog-output-headphones: Headphones (priority 9000,
latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
                         properties:
                                 device.icon_name = "audio-headphones"
         active port: <analog-output>

pacmd also points to the Alsa card number and thus general sysfs area:
         sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card1"

What I would like to know is which of the two PulseAudio ports has which
color. Assume it should be displayed in a modified pavucontrol.
Is there a way to get to know the Alsa PCM device associated with a PA
port for example? This won't directly lead to the pin widget but it
feels like getting closer.
Any hints are appreciated.

Thanks, David