[pulseaudio-discuss] avoid-resampling -> avoid-processing

Arun Raghavan arun at arunraghavan.net
Wed Sep 19 12:29:57 UTC 2018

Hello,
I'm thinking that we should change the avoid resampling flag on sinks to instead be avoid processing -- the idea being that we try not just to reconfigure to a given sample rate, but for the entire sample spec (and eventually channel map as well, once the reconfiguration patches are updated to address Tanu's comments).

The rationale is that I'd like to avoid having one more aspect of configuration, and the use-case to avoid resampling almost certainly applies to at least bit depth (16 <-> 24, usually) at least, and at that point, why not everything.

We could provide more fine-grained control (avoid-resampling/-remapping/-conversion/-channel-mix), but I don't see the benefit of this, so I figure a more overarching option is more likely to be useful.

Would be nice to hear people's thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Arun