[pulseaudio-discuss] Suggestions on how to support avoid-resampling on PulseEffects

wellington wallace wellingtonwallace at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 16:33:21 UTC 2018

Hi PA developers!

As you can see here https://github.com/wwmm/pulseeffects/issues/288 there
are users that would like to have avoid-resampling supported in
PulseEffects(and I would like it too). But honestly I am out of good ideas
about how to do this. At this moment I am using null sinks to do the audio
routing and there is a Gstreamer pipeline that records from it. I can
change the format and rate of the GStreamer pipiline to the ones used by
the audio application being processed but as I can't do the same to the
null sink it would be pointless. The resampling would happen anyway.

At this moment the only way I see to support avoid-resampling would be to
reload the null sink with the new rate and format. But this is really
annoying because as soon as I kill the null sink Pulseaudio will move the
audio application back to the default device. It is not impossible to deal
with this. But it may require major changes in the code.

Is reloading the null sink the only way to deal with this? It crossed my
mind to try to make a custom null sink that could change these parameters
on the fly. But besides the fact that Arch Linux packages do not have
Pulseaudio developement headers I don't even know if it is possible to make
any null sink that would accept this.

Any suggestion would be welcome.

Best regards,
                 Wellington