[pulseaudio-discuss] avoid-resampling -> avoid-processing

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Sep 23 11:52:22 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-09-19 at 17:59 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm thinking that we should change the avoid resampling flag on sinks
> to instead be avoid processing -- the idea being that we try not just
> to reconfigure to a given sample rate, but for the entire sample spec
> (and eventually channel map as well, once the reconfiguration patches
> are updated to address Tanu's comments).
>
> The rationale is that I'd like to avoid having one more aspect of
> configuration, and the use-case to avoid resampling almost certainly
> applies to at least bit depth (16 <-> 24, usually) at least, and at
> that point, why not everything.
>
> We could provide more fine-grained control (avoid-resampling/-
> remapping/-conversion/-channel-mix), but I don't see the benefit of
> this, so I figure a more overarching option is more likely to be
> useful.
>
> Would be nice to hear people's thoughts on this.

Having an "avoid-processing" option is a good idea. I'm not sure what
your proposal is for the old "avoid-resampling" option in daemon.conf.
I'd like to keep that separate, so that it only affects sample rate
conversion. The next best alternative would be to deprecate the option
and make it an alias for avoid-processing, and log a warning if it's
used in daemon.conf, with a message that tells the user to use avoid-
processing instead, and if the user actually wants to only disable
sample rate conversions, they should contact us so that we can bring
back the old option.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk
https://liberapay.com/tanuk