[pulseaudio-discuss] Disable PulseAudio control of my Volume and Mute

Brad Allen Ulmo at Sonic.Net
Sat Dec 28 10:45:57 UTC 2019

I am sick and tired of my Volume and Mute constantly being mucked with by PulseAudio.  When I set them, I want them to stay put.  I set them in alsamixer with the fine-grained control I learned when ALSA first came out.  But now, when I change any setting in ALSA, PulseAudio then clobbers all the rest of the settings.

If there is an equivalent command to ALSA’s alsamixer in PulseAudio, let me know it; “man -k pulseaudio” did not show anything, and only claims to have a GUI version which requires some sort of mouse interface which of course I hate.  I searched and found “pamix”, but it does not work, since it does not show everything at once, and requires default keys that are already used by screen, and seems to have none of the controls ALSA does.  If there’s another ncurses based mixer in PulseAudio that actually works, let me know.

Otherwise, I want to completely erase the ability of PulseAudio to control my audio mute or volumes on any device whatsoever.  Please explain how I can do that.  While completely removing PulseAudio would feel great, I fear that doing so would only make it harder to use many Linux programs that expect it to exist, like some that I already use.

Sincerely,
Brad