[pulseaudio-discuss] [ANNOUNCE] pavucontrol 4.0

NicoHood pulseaudio-discuss at nicohood.de
Wed Mar 6 10:48:12 UTC 2019

On 3/5/19 5:12 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>  * There can now be only one pavucontrol window open at a time.
>    Trying to start pavucontrol for a second time brings the
>    first window to foreground.

Hi,
This "fix" is really a problem for me:

I have 6 audio sinks with pulseaudio installed in my appartment. I am
really happy that I can control each of them via pavucontrol using the
PULSE_SERVER environment variable option.

When I need to debug something I usually have more windows of
pavucontrol open, for multiple devices. Now this does not work anymore
which is super annoying.

My suggestion is to check for the PULSE_SERVER and only have unique
windows for each host. So If you want to run pulseaudio for localhost
multiple times only one instance is open, but you can still open
pavucontrol for other remote destinations (also only one for each host).

If that suggestion is too complicated to implement I would kindly
request to revert the recent fix. :S

Thanks
Nico