[pulseaudio-discuss] Using echo cancellation when PulseAudio is running as a system-wide instance

jyoteshrc at yahoo.in jyoteshrc at yahoo.in
Tue Mar 12 23:57:28 UTC 2019

Hi,
I am trying to use module-echo-cancel, but I am facing some difficulties. I am completely new to PulseAudio, so hoping someone here can help.
I am working on an embedded device. It has PulseAudio already running as a system-wide instance.
bash-4.4# ps aux | grep pulseaudio
 1744 pulse      0:02 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --system --daemonize=no -vvvv
 2056 root       0:00 {grep} /bin/busybox /bin/grep pulseaudio
I want to try module-echo-cancel. In the post on stackoverflow (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/22726143/how-can-i-get-a-stream-of-all-sounds-recorded-from-the-microphone-that-my-comp), OP has mentioned that we should add "load-module module-echo-cancel" line in the config. Restart PulseAudio. Then use pacmd to list the sources and sinks, so that those can be specified in the config as default devices. I am having problem here.
When I try to run pacmd, I get following error

bash-4.4# pacmd list-sinks
No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.
If I try to start PulseAudio, then I get error that daemon is already running.

bash-4.4# pulseaudio --start
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: [1mThis program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).[0m
bash-4.4# pulseaudio --system
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: [1mRunning in system mode, but --disallow-exit not set.[0m
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: [1mRunning in system mode, but --disallow-module-loading not set.[0m
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling SHM mode.
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: Running in system mode, forcibly disabling exit idle time.
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: [1mOK, so you are running PA in system mode. Please make sure that you actually do want to do that.[0m
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: [1mPlease read http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/WhatIsWrongWithSystemWide/ for an explanation why system mode is usually a bad idea.[0m
E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: [1;31mDaemon already running.[0m
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: [1;31mpa_pid_file_create() failed.[0m

How do I fix this?

Thanks,Jyotesh