[pulseaudio-discuss] Working on a new network transport for PulseAudio

Victor Gaydov victor at enise.org
Mon May 6 17:35:40 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm working on Roc, a new project implementing real-time streaming over
network[1].

Currently it can stream PCM using RTP + FECFRAME (Reed-Solomon and
LDPC-Staircase are supported, using OpenFEC library). There are plans to
add support for more encodings (including Opus) and protocols (including
SAP/SDP).

Among other things, we've implemented a couple of PulseAudio modules
that use Roc as a network transport. I've written an overview post
about the project and these modules[2].

Both Roc and PA modules are in early stage of development. PA modules
still miss some essential features, e.g. there is no latency reporting
and service discovery.

I'd like to discuss the opportunity of submitting those modules to the
PA upstream in future. Some thoughts?

[1] https://github.com/roc-project/roc
[2] https://gavv.github.io/articles/new-network-transport/

-- Victor