[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth HSP and HFP support in pulseaudio

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Tue Apr 28 13:33:01 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-04-28 at 13:08 +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 April 2020 13:57:42 Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > Just to chime in on the ofono removal issue: I'm also of the opinion
> > that removing ofono support is not an option.
>
> Well, in this case you have 3 choices:
>
> * Fix it yourself or find somebody who will work on it and would maintain this code in future
> * Try asking ofono community to start cooperate and tell them start
>   working and fixing that pulseaudio ofono code (including future maintenance)
> * Do not take my now fully working hsphpfd support in pulseaudio and do not implement HSP and HFP profiles properly in pulseaudio at all
>
> I'm not going to spend another time with ofono and its buggy audio
> support, I tried it and it was waste of time, and specially now when
> ofono community is not interested in cooperation; and I have working
> better alternative suitable also for supporting other parts (like
> battery support, input button support, etc...)
>
> And... what is the purpose of buggy ofono backend support in pulseaudio,
> now when I provided better code HSP and HFP profiles?

Last year a Collabora developer made a patch that fixed a crash in the
oFono backend. I assume their customer is using PulseAudio with oFono,
so I would also assume that it's not so buggy that it's useless (and
indeed, Georg reports that it's working fine for him). oFono also
integrates HFP to the telephony stack, which hsphfpd doesn't do.

Even if hsphfpd could do everything that oFono does, it's a new
project, I'd call it experimental at this stage. I don't want to tell
users that they have to change their working software stack in order to
keep old features when updating to a new PulseAudio version.

If oFono is not working for you and you therefore can't test it, then
don't test it. Fixing existing bugs in oFono isn't your job. Just avoid
touching the oFono code as much as possible.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk
https://liberapay.com/tanuk