[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio 13.0 stopped working after system upgrade

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Jul 13 11:04:19 UTC 2020

> Hi there!
>
> I just did a distribution upgrade, now pulseaudio 13.0 stopped working.
>

> I use a Unix socket setup to allow multiple local users to access the
> pulse server.
>
> In /etc/pulse/default.pa  I use these options:
>
> load-module module-native-protocol-unix  socket=/dev/shm/pulse-socket
> auth-anonymous=1
>

> The main local user (me...) has no $HOME/.config/pulse/client.conf
>

> Now, when doing pulseaudio -D --start -vvvv I get this:
>
> D: [pulseaudio] conf-parser.c: Parsing configuration file
> '/etc/pulse/client.conf'
> D: [pulseaudio] conf-parser.c: Parsing configuration file
> '/etc/pulse/client.conf.d/50-system.conf'
> I: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup successful.
>

> But, I have no sound.  pactl info gives this error:
>
> Connection failure: Connection refused

That usually means that pactl is trying to connect to a socket that
doesn't exist.

> The daemon is running. accepting no connections.
>
> The local user is in groups audio and pulse.

Unrelated hint: being in the pulse group isn't useful. When using the
group authentication mechanism (which you aren't), you should add users
to the pulsea-access group. The pulse user and group is only used as
the user/group that pulseaudio runs under in the system mode.

Being in the audio group is not really recommended either, because it
breaks user switching (when two users are using their own pulseaudio
instances, which you aren't doing).

> It  would be nice if someone has a hint for me!

You can use "PULSE_LOG=9 pactl info" to get information about where
pactl is trying to connect to.

You didn't explain how you have configured clients so that they know to
connect to /dev/shm/pulse-socket.

https://www.patreon.com/tanuk
https://liberapay.com/tanuk