[pulseaudio-discuss] play music stream on headless server

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 23:33:11 UTC 2020

On 2/14/20 8:05 PM, sean darcy wrote:
> I'm trying to play music on a headless server, on which firefox will be
> playing a streaming channel.
>
> If I'm on the headless server all works well.
>
> But when I ssh into the server as the same user, nothing works. If I
> start pulseaudio:
>
> pulseaudio -D
>
> pa finds no sinks:
>
> pacmd list-sinks
> 1 sink(s) available.
>    * index: 0
>      name: <auto_null>
>      driver: <module-null-sink.c>
>      properties:
>          device.description = "Dummy Output"
>          device.class = "abstract"
>          device.icon_name = "audio-card"
>
> This should be common use case. How do I set it up ?
>
> sean

Maybe I asked this incorrectly.

I'd like to ssh into a headless remote machine. Start a browser which
shows on my local machine. Use the browser to stream music, and I want
the music to play on the _remote_ machine.

I'm surprised that this doesn't Just Work, but it doesn't.

Any suggestions ? Any link to a howto ?

Or is this the wrong mailing list for this question ?

sean