[pulseaudio-discuss] multiuser access

Sean Greenslade sean at seangreenslade.com
Sun Mar 8 19:44:58 UTC 2020

>Hi there,
>
>to use multiuser access on a machine there seem to be 2 ways,
>module-native-protocol-unix and module-native-protocol-tcp.
>
>Is one preferred over the other? Especially regarding latency?

I would imagine (though I haven't tested) that the unix socket version would be preferable if you are only servicing clients on the same machine.

That said, I have used the tcp module to cast the audio from one machine playing video files to the speakers on another machine, and over a wired LAN noticed no latency issues. So I doubt there would be any noticeable latency with either on a machine-local connection.

--Sean