[pulseaudio-discuss] Virtual audio cable - high cpu usage

Renaud GHIA rghia at tixeo.com
Sat Jan 30 11:29:46 UTC 2021

Hi,

I use pulseaudio in a use case where the cpu usage is very high (30%) and
IHMO this is not normal.
I tried all the tricks to decrease the cpu load without success
(resampling-method etc...). The cpu remains high.

My use case is simple. I redirect the sound output of an application to the
sound input of another application (in this case ffmpeg). I load two
modules to create my virtual audio cable like this:

pactl load-module module-null-sink sink_name=VAC_spk
sink_properties=device.description=VAC

pactl load-module module-remap-source master=VAC_spk.monitor
source_name=VAC1_mic source_properties=device.description=VAC

Everything works perfectly, except the cpu which is 30% for this simple use
case.
My cpu is a AMD threadripper and i'am with the latest stable release
pulseaudio 14.2 freshly compiled,
Do you know how to lower the CPU usage?

Thanks

Renaud