[pulseaudio-discuss] Question about setup sink/source

andreas.unterhuber at me.com andreas.unterhuber at me.com
Mon May 10 13:20:22 UTC 2021

Dear pulseaudio community,

I've a setup to run a screen grabber (ffmpeg records content of a website, loaded in chromium by selenium) within a docker container. Audio is recorded from ffmpeg by pulseaudio on a Ubuntu 18 system.

#################
My setup:
#################

... start Xvfb, chrome+selenium ...
pulseaudio -D --exit-idle-time=-1
pacmd load-module module-virtual-sink sink_name=v1
pacmd set-default-sink v1
pacmd set-default-source v1.monitor
... and then ffmpeg -ar 44100 -f pulse -i default [...] out.mp4 ...

Works perfectly. But I want a little more. I'm pretty sure that someone can help me!

#################
Needed change 1#

I need an audio source that has always audio (audio "silence"). The browser does not always have audio-websites to playback. So I had in mind to create a source with continuous silence, mixed with browser audio (whenever the browser has audio signals to play).
How does the command/setup looks like? I played around but was unable to realize...

Needed change 2#

Instead of just continuous silence I want to playback an audio file that runs in a loop forever, mixed with the browser audio.
How does the command/setup looks like?

I'm very, very thankful for any help!
Best, Andreas