[pulseaudio-discuss] analog stereo no longer an option for sound card

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Fri Sep 17 20:25:17 UTC 2021

Greetings,

I sent a request to this PA mailing list two years ago asking about
on-the-fly sound card configuration:

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2019-April/031017.html

and then a year ago, I pinged the mailing list regarding the same topic:

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2020-April/031682.html

Thanks to Tanu and Georg for helping out and answering questions!

It appears the messaging API has been integrated into the v15.0
release - so I decided to upgrade my system in hopes of utilizing that
API to disable on-the-fly jack detection.

Unfortunately, after the upgrade, the option to set my sound card as
an Analog Stereo is no longer present.

In the drop-down in the Sound Preferences configuration window I see
the following:

Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output
Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output + Analog Stereo Input
Digital Surround 5.1 (IEC958/AC3) Output

How do I configure this sound card, which up until today could be
configured as an Analog Stereo, to be Analog Stereo?

If the messaging API can handle disabling jack detection on-the-fly,
is anyone able to help me configure my system to perform that
disabling?

I am running:

$ apt policy pulseaudio
pulseaudio: