The other kbd bug from today's call

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Fri Aug 13 21:52:36 PDT 2004

Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>
>> Do you propose to keep the "keyboard"->"kbd" alias around after the
>> old driver has been removed or just until the next release?
>
> Is there any reason not to just leave the aliasing around?

If we can keep the alias in the kbd driver instead of hardcoding a
strcmp("keyboard", ...) in the module loading logic it should be OK.
Maybe we can let the module register two drivers, or make a "keyboard"
module that just loads "kbd" as a submodule.

>> Besides, people upgrading from packages instead of
>> tar.gz would probably not notice anything, since the package could
>> just patch xorg.conf.
>
> Do we have a packager's guide so that everyone who builds packages
> knows they need to do things like this?  If not, should we?

Hmm... there is also #1029 which could require packager attention.  This
could be an appendix in the release notes.

Kristian