[Release-wranglers] Preliminary To do list for release.

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys@hp.com
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:44:18 -0500

Keith and I spent some time this morning putting together a
preliminary list of things to do to get a release out the door.
Comments?  What have we missed?  It has been a while since either
of us wrangled a release out the door.

Cycle until release: start as soon as possible

generate Tarballs
update jhbuild with any additional packages added
Go through bugzilla, fix bugs.
iterate until done.

JHBuild
-------
Keith claims jhbuild can do either tarballs or cvs. We need to
      do both. I've personally only used it for CVS builds.
update jhbuild package for new stuff
jhbuild tarball build configuration
update jhbuild wiki page.

setup regular IRC/calls of wranglers
status reports

Complete font work or decide to punt for this release
	What is drop dead day?

Decide patch strategy
       strawman: adopt XF86 ddx and drivers from RC2 as is
       Concentrate on dix and libraries patches

Do patch work. Nakee has list of patches annotated at:
	http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~elylevy/patchs
	Needs annotation with exactly what files are touched by
	each patch.

Imake work *must* be done
      2 options.
      autoconf vs. version from tree.  Not clear what is best to do yet.

tinderbox server OSDL has offered:
	ACTION ITEM: Keithp to call bluff of Tim Witham
tinderbox clients
	  ccache: triggered by checkin or continuous.
	One client build on fd.o possibly with ccache.

Clients decision
	autotool vs. imake
	tentative: go with autotool of order 10 packages.
	see: http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/ProposedAppsPackages
	please review and make appropriate changes.
	Questions: grouping, if any, of twm, xdm, xterm?
             developer's package?

Testsuite needs to be run.

Autotool XF86 ddx. Daniel is starting.
	 Priority order: Linux, bsd, solaris, other as people do them
		only Linux is showstopper for initial release.

install on fd.o a build package for jhbuild

Check after RC2 for patches we can apply prior to license change.
Some patches aren't likely to be under XF86 license.

Would be nice to be able to build RPM's and Debs automatically. Far from
clear we can do so initially: generating spec files files, etc,
is work.

distcheck all packages, preferably passing in all modules if possible

Per package work
    Need list of packages, to keep track of this work.
-----------
AUTHOR's file in all packages
ChangeLog file in all packages
COPYING file in all packages
INSTALL file in all packages
README file in all packages.
TODO file in all packages.

Tag packages for release

Generate the tarballs

Generate rpm's and debs (in principle).

Release notes for whole release

Acknowledgments for all who have contributed, to XF86 in particular
for the drivers.  I have some of this together from work I did
for xlibs a week or two ago.

build from tarballs.

Verify functional bits. - sanity check X, client apps.

iterate until done.

Send release announcement.

Drink beer.

Immediately set up for a dot release within a month or two
after initial release.

                           - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys@hp.com>