[Release-wranglers] Re: Teleconference contact information for open source testing.

Keith Packard release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:14:54 -0800

--==_Exmh_1532611254P

Around 15 o'clock on Feb 25, "Kendall Bennett" wrote:

> I missed this mornings call due to other committements. Any progress to
> report?

Yes, I think Egbert and Kevin made a pretty persuasive case for producing
a release as close to XFree86 4.4 RC2 as possible; they're both on very
tight schedules and were planning on moving to 4.4.  A release which
differs from that in any substantial way will force them to fall back to
either 4.3 or home-spun 4.4-ish bits.  Neither of those positions would
help anyone in the long run.

I think the proposal is then to take XFree86 4.4 RC2, figure out what
patches have been applied in XFree86 CVS since then, discover what legal
obligations we have to respect the XFree86 trademarks and ship the result.

Changes to Xlib UTF-8 support, Xinerama and X server internals will have
to wait until after that release; otherwise we're going to miss two very
important Linux release trains here.

Somewhat unresolved are issues over precisely what kind of releases we'd do
after that are still on the table.  Let me recap my thoughts on the issue
here.

--

+ Composite support in the X server changes the DIX/DDX interface and may
  require recompiling video drivers.

+ Discarding the XFree86 loader and moving to dlopen will require
  recompiling video drivers.

+ We should avoid breaking video driver interfaces twice.

+ We have a desire to (quickly) stabilize the driver interface so that video
  drivers can be released separately from the X server.

Ok, so given that we'll be shipping XFree86 4.4 RC2, that means no
Composite extension and the XFree86 loader -- so, we can't finalize the
ABI with this release.  However, we'd like to take advantage of the
modular build environment to release new drivers for the monolithic server
at some point.

I'd like to avoid two modular X builds, one of which is backward
compatible with the monolithic environment and one of which is forward
compatible with future modular releases.  That seems like a really good
way to confuse people.  That's not to say that the modular tree should
never be backward compatible.

To allow people to avoid duplicating a bunch of driver development and
maintanence, I suspect we'll want to make the modular drivers target both
the monolithic and modular servers for a while at least.  Whether this is
done by creating an imake-based DDK for the monolithic environment, or
making sure that we can use autotools somehow.

-keith

--==_Exmh_1532611254P

--==_Exmh_1532611254P--