need a name for the server we build from the XFree86 ddx?

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:08:54 -0500

Egbert Eich wrote:
> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY writes:
>  >=20
>  > It should probably not be Xorg. (Too cheesy.)
>  >=20
>  > Maybe Xxof?
>  >=20
>  > XFree86 has always tried to discourage people from calling them XFre=
e,=20
>  > and given their intransigent behavior WRT the license, perhaps we mi=
ght=20
>  > call it Xfree? (That might be too much "in your face" though.)
>  >=20
>  > Any other suggestions?
>  >=20
>=20
> I heared some suggestion once to just call it 'X' ;-)
>=20

The normal build-and-install creates a symlink=20
X->X{sun,hp,ibm,darwin,Free86,etc}. It's not Rocket Science=AE to disable=
=20
creating that symlink, but----

There's a X(1) man page for generic X, and various X<foo>(1) pages with=20
ddx-specific options. There is an XFree86(1) man page, which we probably =

ought to rename as well, to match whatever name we choose. Oviously we=20
can't have two X(1) man pages.

My own experience is that things that I think should be obvious often=20
aren't obvious to others. Someone will claim that he or she didn't=20
realize that he needed to look at the XFree86(1) man page because he was =

just running X, not XFree86.

So I propose not calling it X, although JustX would be an okay name. :-)

--

Kaleb