need a name for the server we build from the XFree86 ddx?

Mike A. Harris release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:43:26 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:

>The normal build-and-install creates a symlink=20
>X->X{sun,hp,ibm,darwin,Free86,etc}. It's not Rocket Science=AE to disable=
=20
>creating that symlink, but----
>
>There's a X(1) man page for generic X, and various X<foo>(1) pages with=20
>ddx-specific options. There is an XFree86(1) man page, which we probably=
=20
>ought to rename as well, to match whatever name we choose. Oviously we=20
>can't have two X(1) man pages.
>
>My own experience is that things that I think should be obvious often=20
>aren't obvious to others. Someone will claim that he or she didn't=20
>realize that he needed to look at the XFree86(1) man page because he was=
=20
>just running X, not XFree86.
>
>So I propose not calling it X, although JustX would be an okay name. :-)

Yeah, I think the "obvious" names that seem the "safest bet" are
too generic and too confusing potentially to end users
personally.  Just trying to look at it from the other side of the
monitor.  I will admit however that many of the names I=20
brainstormed are pretty lame also.  ;o)  Hopefully they will seed=20
everyone else's random X name generators.  ;o)

Just came up with a few new names a minute ago:

Xebcak - X Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.
IntelligeX

XP - (Someone suggested it in IRC, a bit of humour doesn't hurt
      anyone)  ;o)

Here are many names others have suggested, I've trimmed out some=20
of the junk, but kept some that are interesting, or might=20
spawn ideas, or alternatively just give a few chuckles:

Xpression
Xpialodocious
XMalloc86 (Kind of a UNIX geek twist on XFree86)
Xmas
Xyzzy
Xizzle=09=09- pronounced Zizzle.   I like this one.  ;o)
eXterprise
FeliX
SimpleX
CompleX
Xunil
ApeX=09=09- The ApeX of X server technology
Xornelius

<various things people pasted in UTF-8, trying to promote=20
internationalization, which pine doesn't handle too well>  ;o)

Xima
Xanarchy=09- "Zanarky"
Xanadu
XorteX=09=09- kindof like this one
XYZ
Xanax=09=09- Prescription X server?
Xorcist
Xandalf
X++
DeXtop
Xod=09=09- like Zod, "X Open Desktop"
Xagain
ResurreXion=09- Alan C came up with that.  ;o)
X:-)=09=09- X smiley (yes, lame)

First Unified X - this one is a bit too long, but it was=20
=09=09  suggested it could be abbreviated perhaps
Xample

Xzilla
maX
Xiranha=09=09- sounds kindof neat - zeer-ah-nah
spooX=09=09- for an SElinux enabled X server
Xantastic
Xindows
Xfreedesktop
Xactly
Xoops
PiXeL
Xbag
Xactly
JustX
QaX
reduX
XinX=09=09- Xinx is not X (recursive UNIX style acronym)
Xanity
Xalhalla

That just about exhausts the creativity of everyone at Red Hat,=20
and many people in public IRC on freenode for today.  ;o)

--=20
Mike A. Harris