need a name for the server we build from the XFree86 ddx?

Egbert Eich release-wranglers@freedesktop.org
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:22:42 +0100

Keith Packard writes:

 > Around 21 o'clock on Feb 27, Egbert Eich wrote:
 >
 > > I heared some suggestion once to just call it 'X' ;-)
 >
 > 'X' is traditionally the name for the symlink that points at the "real"
 > server, or Xwrapper.  I don't think we can reasonably replace that usage.

Yea, true, it lives in /var/X11R6/bin. However if this isn't first
in the search path the symlink will become useless if we have a binary.

Although many people don't seem to come across the binary very often
- many don't even seem to realize that you can start the server by just
executing the binary - it should have a name that points to the organization
that ships the server. Therefore there doesn't seem to be anything better
than Xorg.

Egbert.