"Composite" and multiple screens / was: Re: Minutes from July 16 Release Wranglers call

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jul 17 17:42:18 PDT 2004

Around 2 o'clock on Jul 18, Roland Mainz wrote:

> What will happen if there are multiple screens where one screen supports
> "Composite" and the other doesn't (I am thinking here about the
> "traditional" multihead (multiple seperate screens), Xinerama, DMX and
> SLS...) ?

I hadn't worried about this case; the only case it can currently occur is
in DMX as all of the existing monolithic servers should support composite
quite nicely on all screens with the GC/Picture wrapping code which makes
Composite a purely DIX/MI level extension (just like the MI backing store
or MI software cursor code).

Composite doesn't have requests to discover which screens it is supported
on, and I don't think it's reasonable to add one, rather an X server
should either support it on all screens or not at all, so in the DMX case,
I would expect the multiplexor to hide the existance of Composite unless
supported on all subservient X servers.

-keith