Which "tar" should be used to pack the X11R6.8.0 source tarballs ?

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Thu Nov 11 01:30:33 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 19:45, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> ----
>
> Which "tar" version was used to pack the X11R6.8.0 tarballs ? I am just
> asking because there are several incompatibilities between the various
> versions of "tar" (many of them caused by GNU tar which has extensions
> none of the other tar versions understand... ;-( ) and I'd like to avoid
> the h*ll in which Mozilla.org resides in (their "tar.gz" tar archives
> (created with GNU tar) can only properly be unpacked using "pax" or
> "star" on non-GNU platforms).

Whatever you do, please do not replace the tarballs in-place if you
choose to re-pack them.  That causes a lot of problems for systems such
as BSD ports and their associated distfile mirroring, which check
md5sums.

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org
           Thank goodness for the 22nd Amendment