Approval of announcement

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Fri Sep 17 22:22:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 02:32:18PM -0500, mcnichol at austin.ibm.com wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:13:28 -0400
> > From: Kevin E Martin <kem at freedesktop.org>
> >
> > This bug affects all known versions and releases of the X Window System,
> > whether from X.Org or other vendors.  Therefore, users are strongly
> > recommended to upgrade.
>

> I don't know if this is important or not, but X11R6.6 and all prior
> releases did NOT contain libXpm, so would not contain this vulnerability.
> However, it is likely that all the Unix vendors are still exposed due to
> the use of libXpm in the Motif 2.1 library.

That's a good point.  I took that paragraph from the advisory that was
sent on Wednesday but left out one key piece of info, "shipping versions
of libXpm".  I've added added that back, and the paragraph now reads:

This bug affects all known versions and releases of the X Window System
shipping versions of libXpm, whether from X.Org or other vendors.
Therefore, users are strongly recommended to upgrade.