[Roadster] routing / directions

Ian McIntosh ian_mcintosh at linuxadvocate.org
Mon Feb 21 22:26:39 PST 2005

Routing.

I wrote about some possible solutions to the lack of one-way streets in
TIGER data here: http://linuxadvocate.org/ian/index.php?p=43 -- in
summary, I think we should implement routing and do the best we can with
the data we have.  As the data gets better, so does Roadster.

Should Roadster support multi-point trips?

Should it plan an optimized route given a series of places to hit?

How about a "how far can I go in X minutes?" solver?

Should it plan gas station and hotel stops?

Once we have some one-way street data, should it make it clear which
roads it knows and which is doesn't?

Are there any amazingly cool application of routing that are yet
untapped?  What can a commercial package not do (for social, political,
or other reasons) that an open one can?

What is the user interface for routing like?

If someone familiar with MS S&T wants to explain what they like / hate
about the way it does routing, that would be helpful.