[Roadster] Free Maps and Other info

Ian McIntosh ian_mcintosh at linuxadvocate.org
Thu Feb 24 21:26:58 PST 2005

Hi Ian N.,

> 2) Why use MySql, why not use Postgres with the GIS function addins, is
> the application being written in a way that could allow database
> portability?

I chose MySQL over Postgres because it can be easily embedded within
applications.  This is what will let non-geeks use Roadster. ;)  In
fact, we just moved MySQL inside and it's working great.

If Postgres can be embedded, I'd *love* to try it out and see which is
faster.  Even if not, we can add support for external Postgres in the
future.

I don't know about AU data-- the site I found seems to only offer low
res data.

-Ian M.