[Roadster] Compilation successful - what next?

Ian McIntosh ian_mcintosh at linuxadvocate.org
Tue May 3 21:04:56 PDT 2005

Hi,

In short, get files here[1] (scroll to the bottom) and then select the
whole bunch when doing an import.  Then do a search or two until it
matches a road. :)

[1] http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/tiger2004fe/tgr2004fe.html

Be warned: It takes a very long time.  Unless you want to actually use
Roadster while out in a car or something, I suggest you only import one
or two zip files at first.

For the near future, JCole and I have talked about a) pre-parsing the
tiger zip files and distributing the geography database pre-generated
and b) changing to a much more compact data format, to speed up access
time and also reduce size (substantially).

-Ian