Fw: [Roadster] downloading?

Turgut Durduran durduran at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 14:07:27 PST 2006

sorry, I sent this to Casey only.
----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Turgut Durduran <durduran at yahoo.com>
To: Casey Harkins <caseyharkins at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 4:54:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Roadster] downloading?

>I noticed this a couple weeks ago and forgot to ping Ian (author of
>roadster and owner of linuxadvocate.org) and let him know. I'm guessing
i>ts just a virtual domain configuration issue.

>As for source, cvs is located at cairographics. This page might be helpful:
>
>http://cairographics.org/Roadster/BuildingIt
>
>There is also at least one patch in the archives on this list which you
>might need to apply (don't think it made it into cvs).
>
>Finally, if you're looking for a GPS program to use, you're probably
>going to be disappointed. Roadster doesn't seem to be in functional
>state (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). If you're looking to help
>Roadster progress, then have at it!
>
>-casey

Thanks Casey! Well, I was looking for both. I recently begun looking at GPS systems and  I realized that I may be better off using a hand-held GPS specialized for hiking/cycling etc and attach it to a laptop for in-car navigation. Since I do not use M$ products on any of my computers, I looked into roadnav which seem to work (I did not buy the GPS to test that part of the functionality yet) and heard about roadster. I would like to give it a shot for using it as a GPS program and also help its development as much as I can ---rudimentary programming abilities and good deal of familiarity with linux.

Anyway, the instructions in the above address for Cairo end up with all sorts of warnings that I need to use "git" instead of CVS. A quick attempt in installing/using git ended up in a whole bunch of other warnings to I will have to postpone this.

Do you know if the CVS method works and whether I can ignore the warnings?

Thanks,

Turgut

http://new.mail.yahoo.com