[Roadster] Status & Roadmap

Jeff Garrett jeff at jgarrett.org
Sun Sep 9 09:26:09 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 11:35 +0200, Stéphane Urbanovski wrote:
> Jeff Garrett a écrit :
> > Hello to All!
>
> Hello
> Thanks for working on this project again

Hi

[snip snip]
> There is a tipo in main.c (passworDD):
> main.c:         db_passwd = g_key_file_get_string(keyfile, "mysql", "passwordd", NULL);

Thanks for the catch.  Fix committed to cvs.

> > If you skip this step, or if you don't specify all of the parameters,
> > roadster will use the defaults (local host, local user, no password, no
> > database name).
> >
> > Now you'll need to import mapping data.  To do that you'll need to find
> > out your county FIPS code, and download a file from the Census Bureau
> > website (#12319).  The roadster wiki has links to a list of FIPS codes
> > as well as to the CB website.  You can start roadster, go to Debug >
> > Import Map Data... and select the ZIP file from the Census Bureau.
> >
> > Now you are ready to begin!  Go to the search box in the upper right,
> > put in a street name, and press enter (#12323).
>
> The search box seems to work, but I'm not able to see anything on the map (stay blank)

It returns results?  What happens when you click on them?  Any amount of
zooming help?

> > - Printing (#12352)
>
> Export a "screenshot" ?

Yea, something like that.  Since the map is a cairo surface, and since
cairo was made with printing in mind, it should be fairly easy to export
it to other cairo_surface types (e.g. images -- #12371) or print them...

> > - Database abstraction / other databases
> >   There are places in the code that have explicit database queries
> >   and which are not very database independent.  Obviously, most of
> >   the database stuff should be moved away from the rest of the code,
> >   so as to make it fairly easy to change (#12344).
>
> I think database initialisation should be left out the main program and put in an external script.
>
> >   An SQLite database backend would be nice and have zero
> >   configuration (#12321).  It'd also make it easy to prepackage
> >   the TIGER data (#12345).
> >
> >   Some people would probably appreciate postgres/postgis support but
> >   I don't think that's an immediate concern (#12346).
>
> Postgis has interessant capabilities like road simplification.
>

> > - OpenStreetMap support (#12348)
> >   We should be able to read their data, and serve as an OSM editor.
> >   They currently use JOSM, a specialized Java app, but we could also
> >   do this.  It would give us more data too...  Note that the OSM
> >   data includes the one-way street data.
>
> +1 !

-Jeff