[SCIM] About trigger key and English/European mode.

LiuCougar liucougar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 17:15:13 PDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:51:53 -0500, Ming Hua <minghua at rice.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:40:00PM +0100, LiuCougar wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 04:56:13 +0800, Kitae <neeum at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Second is I am enable only two mode Korean > 3bul 390, and  Chinese >
> > > Smart Pinyin.  But when I change mode using switch input method key,
> > > there is three mode.  English/European is never disappear.  I hope
> > > that English/European mode can turn off.
> > I think you can disable European keyboard in IMEngine configuration dialog.
>
> If you mean IMEngine frame in scim-setup, no it doesn't work.  You can
> disable everything except English/European.  Actually you can choose to
> disable English/European, but the panel ignore your setting.
Ok, you are right: I confirmed this in the source code.

> I would also like to see this fixed, personally I don't really care, but
> I am recieving wishlist about this for my Debian packages.
Agree. IMO, we should provide the capability to disable this feature,
for most of CJK users do not really need this compose IMEngine at all.

OTOH, this IMEngine is built-in in the scim library itself. I think,
it would be better to split it in a separate plugin: otherwise this
introduce un-necessary overhead for most CJK users.

What's your opinion?

Regards,
- Old Chinese adage